Boston in Suffolk County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The Old Corner Bookstore
Thomas Crease built this structure as his apothecary and residence shortly after the great fire of 1711 destroyed Anne Hutchinson’s house on this site. Timothy Carter opened the Old Corner Bookstore here in 1829. Between 1845 and 1865, the booksellers Ticknor and Fields established the building’s lasting literary significance as the publishers of Hawthorne, Longfellow, Stowe, Emerson, Thoreau and other prominent American and British authors, who often gathered here.
In 1960, civic leaders raised money and established Historic Boston Incorporated to acquire and preserve this site.
Erected by The Bostonian Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1711.
Location. 42° 21.451′ N, 71° 3.499′ W. Marker is in Boston, Massachusetts, in Suffolk County. Marker is at the intersection of School Street and Washington Street, on the left when traveling east on School Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boston MA 02108, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spring Lane (a few steps from this marker); Boston Irish Famine MemorialWinthrop Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Spring (within shouting distance of this marker); Old South Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Old South Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Boston Transcript Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Province House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boston.
Also see . . . Former Site of the Old Corner Bookstore. Details of the Freedom Trail from the City of Boston website. (Submitted on April 19, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 881 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 19, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.