Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Duane Doty School

 
 
Duane Doty School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, July 30, 2021
1. Duane Doty School Marker
Inscription.  Duane Doty School first opened its doors in the fall of 1909. It was built as Detroit grew north along Woodward Avenue in the first quarter of the twentieth century. The school was named for Duane Doty (circa 1836-1902), an early Superintendent of Detroit Public Schools and later of the Chicago schools. The building was designed by local firm Malcomson and Higginbotham, architects of many Detroit schools, in an Arts and Crafts style. Originally, the school housed kindergarten through eighth grade with space for up to 640 students. Enrollment peaked at 1,200 in 1960. Many students came from the nearby Boston Edison district. The school was expanded in 1921, and a gymnasium was added in 1928. It has been remodeled several times since its founding.
 
Erected 2013 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2250.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
 
Location. 42° 23.178′ 
Duane Doty School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, July 30, 2021
2. Duane Doty School Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 83° 5.538′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is on Glynn Court near 3rd Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 841 Glynn Ct, Detroit MI 48202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henry Ford House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Central Woodward Christian Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Detroit July 1967 (approx. Ύ mile away); North Woodward Avenue Congregational Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Temple No. 1 / Masjid Wali Muhammad (approx. 1.2 miles away); James Smith House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Highland Park Plant (approx. 1½ miles away); Motown (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180910

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 8, 2022