Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grafton in Taylor County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

First Presbyterian Church of Grafton

 
 
First Presbyterian Church of Grafton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bradley Owen, August 30, 2021
1. First Presbyterian Church of Grafton Marker
Inscription.  Presbyterians first began meeting in the homes of members in Fetterman in 1855. The Presbyterian Church of Fetterman was officially organized through the Presbytery of Redstone on July 27, 1856.

In 1864 it was reorganized and renamed the First Presbyterian Church of Grafton. Initially, services were held in the old B&O carpenter shop at the foot of Wehn Alley but in November 1865 two lots were purchased from Henry O'Leary for the construction of a church building. Work began on the 22nd of that month and the new church, built from bricks made at Ambrose Snively's local brick plant, was dedicated on October 6, 1867. Additions were made to the south end of the building in 1914 to accommodate the new pipe organ and in 1948 the old steeple was removed and the tower remodeled.

In 1970, First Presbyterian and St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church began discussing a merger between their congregations to address low membership and financial issues faced by both churches. A Celebration of Federation was held June 25, 1972 to commemorate the new consolidated parish, the Lutheran-Presbyterian Church of the Covenant.
 
Erected by
First Presbyterian Church of Grafton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bradley Owen, August 30, 2021
2. First Presbyterian Church of Grafton Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
West Virginia Humanities Council and Taylor County Historical and Genealogical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is June 25, 1972.
 
Location. 39° 20.489′ N, 80° 1.085′ W. Marker is in Grafton, West Virginia, in Taylor County. Marker is on Washington Street east of St. John Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16 Washington Street, Grafton WV 26354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Andrews Methodist Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Augustine Catholic Church (about 300 feet away); Cohen Building (about 400 feet away); B&O Station (about 400 feet away); Elks Lodge No. 308 (about 400 feet away); Willard Hotel (about 500 feet away); B&O Railroad (about 600 feet away); Gough Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grafton.
 
First Presbyterian Church of Grafton image. Click for full size.
By Bradley Owen, August 30, 2021
3. First Presbyterian Church of Grafton
Bell Tower Restoration Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Bradley Owen, August 30, 2021
4. Bell Tower Restoration Plaque
Dedicated to the unquestioning faith, undaunted courage, and relentless determination of all the former and present members of the congregations of the First Presbyterian Church of Grafton, WV 1856 - 1972; and the St. Pauls Lutheran Church of Grafton, WV 1870 - 1972.

The untiring efforts of these many people, along with the Leadership of their respective clergy, resulted in the establishment of the first truly "Federated Church" in West Virginia.1972.

Serving as witness to the world that congregations of two denominations (Lutheran - Presbyterian) can successfully come together with a common purpose "TO SERVE ONE GOD". The "CHURCH OF THE COVENANT" was born February 1, 1972.

"UNITED TO SERVE"

October 19, 1992
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 3, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180938

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 26, 2022