Hollins in Roanoke County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1978 by Board of Supervisors of Roanoke County. (Marker Number A-79.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Women. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
Location. 37° 21.114′ N, 79° 56.415′ W. Marker is in Hollins, Virginia, in Roanoke County. Marker is on Williamson Road (U.S. 11) near Campus Drive (County Route 1815). Near the Hollins University campus entrance. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Roanoke VA 24020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roanoke County / Botetourt County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Carolina Road (approx. 2.2 miles away); Cloverdale Furnace (approx. 2.3 miles away); Dr. William Fleming (approx. Daleville College (approx. 3.8 miles away); Mount Moriah Baptist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Burrell Memorial Hospital (approx. 4.9 miles away); Childhood Home of Oliver White Hill, Sr. (approx. 5.2 miles away).
More about this marker. While this marker looks like an official Virginia historical highway marker, the Virginia Department of Historic Resources confirms it was locally approved and produced by the Board of Supervisors of Roanoke County in 1978. The significant difference of this marker from the standard state marker is that the Great Seal of Virginia has been replaced with the motto of Hollins University, Levavi Oculos, Latin for "Lift Up Your Eyes."
Regarding Hollins College. Hollins University was initially established in 1842 as Valley Union Seminary, a coeducational college. It became a woman's college in 1852. In 1855 it was renamed Hollins Institute in recognition of benefactors John and Ann Halsey Hollins who donated generously to the school. Hollins Institute became a College in 1911 and a University in 1998.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Dr. Charles L. Cocke also helped found Mount Moriah Baptist Church for local African American Slaves.
Also see . . . Hollins University web site. (Submitted on April 20, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,560 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 19, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 2. submitted on February 11, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 3. submitted on April 19, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on April 20, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.