“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McLean in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)


McLean Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 18, 2006
1. McLean Marker
Inscription.  McLean originated in this vicinity after the electrified Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad began operating in 1906. Its tracks crossed Chain Bridge Road between the villages of Lewinsville and Langley, near the Ingleside community. By 1910 the area was renamed McLean, after John R. McLean, an owner of the railroad and publisher of the Washington Post. Storm's General Store and Post Office was built at this site between the tracks and Elm Street. Franklin Sherman School opened nearby in 1914, and the McLean Volunteer Fire Department was incorporated in 1923. Train service ended in 1934. The rail bed is now Old Dominion Drive.
Erected 2003 by Fairfax County History Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, Fairfax County History Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
Location. 38° 56.056′ N, 77° 10.653′ W. Marker is in McLean, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
intersection of Old Dominion Road (Virginia Route 309) and Chain Bridge Road and Elm Street, on the left when traveling south on Old Dominion Road. Marker is in a tiny triangular park between Old Dominion Drive and Elm Street. . Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mc Lean VA 22101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Laughlin Building (within shouting distance of this marker); McLean Volunteer Firehouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Salona (approx. 0.4 miles away); Benvenue (approx. half a mile away); William Watters (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McLean.
Also see . . .  McLean Citizens Association: Anthology of Local Histories. Edited by Jan Auerbach, 2007; sponsored by The McLean Citizens Association and The McLean Historical Society. (Submitted on October 8, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
Triangular Park and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 18, 2006
2. Triangular Park and Marker
Park is between Old Dominion Drive on the right and Elm Street on the left and comes to a point at Chain Bridge Road.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 18, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,463 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 18, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024