Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Port Lavaca in Calhoun County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Six Mile Presbyterian Church

 
 
Six Mile Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 30, 2021
1. Six Mile Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  Worship services in the community that became known as Six Mile began as early as 1894, when traveling ministers such as the Rev. Anton Motycka and the Rev. Adolf Chlumsky conducted religious services once a month in the local schoolhouse. In 1900 the Rev. Mr. Chlumsky led the first area confirmation classes, and Presbyterian Services began in 1909. The Rev. H.E. Beseda, Sr., formally organized the Czech Presbyterian Church in 1911. A church building, erected on this site in 1923 and destroyed by a hurricane in 1942, was replaced in 1943. Most services were conducted in Czech until 1956. The church remains an active congregation central to life in the Six Mile community.
 
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1153.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
 
Location. 28° 40.716′ N, 96° 41.196′ W. Marker is near Port Lavaca, Texas, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Royal Road and Bobby Lane, on the left when traveling west on
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Royal Road. The marker is located on the left side of the entrance to the Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 345 Royal Road, Port Lavaca TX 77979, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Six Mile Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Six Mile-Royal Community (approx. half a mile away); Springs of Calhoun County (approx. 1.4 miles away); Don Martin de Leon (approx. 1.8 miles away); Lavaca Lodge No. 36, A.F.& A.M. (approx. 2.9 miles away); Port Lavaca Chapter No. 373 Order of the Eastern Star (approx. 2.9 miles away); Site of the Town of Linnville (approx. 3 miles away); Salem Lutheran Church (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Lavaca.
 
The Six Mile Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 30, 2021
2. The Six Mile Presbyterian Church and Marker
The view of the Six Mile Presbyterian Church and Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 30, 2021
3. The view of the Six Mile Presbyterian Church and Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=181116

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024