Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Del Rio
On May 24, 1896, Pastor Frank Marrs joined the Rev. and Mrs. Edwin S. Stucker as founding members of Del Rio's First Baptist Church. Marrs was from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary of Kentucky, and the Stuckers were both missionaries. The couple served railroad workers and their families from a railway car named "Goodwill," sponsored by the American Baptist Sunday School Society of Philadelphia, Pa. The church formally organized with six charter members.
As Del Rio grew, so did the congregation and the need for a larger structure. Through a land donation, members moved church services to an adobe building on the southwest corner of Garfield and Pecan streets. On February 17, 1925, they laid the cornerstone of a brick and stone building at that same location to replace the adobe structure. That sanctuary remained home to the First Baptist congregation for 35 years. In 1960, the growing church built a new structure on Avenue G, outside the downtown area, incorporating the cornerstone of the old building.
Over the years, Del Rio's First Baptist Church has constructed additional buildings to use for classrooms.
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13105.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is May 24, 1896.
Location. 29° 22.049′ N, 100° 53.827′ W. Marker is in Del Rio, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue G and East 1st Street, on the right when traveling north on Avenue G. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Avenue G, Del Rio TX 78840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glenn-Dowe House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Paul Kallinger (approx. 0.4 miles away); Operation Brass Knob (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Carter Family In Del Rio (approx. 0.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Del Rio (approx. half a mile away); City of Del RioElks Lodge Hall (approx. half a mile away); Camp Hudson, C.S.A. (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Del Rio.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.