Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Santos S. Garza
Santos S. Garza, also known as “Don Santos” or “Father of San Felipe Schools,” was born Nov. 2, 1881 in either Piedras Negras or Eagle Pass. He came to Del Rio in 1898 where he owned numerous businesses including a theater, general store, dairy, pharmacy, ranch and bar. He married Jesusita Menchaca Galindo on Jan. 3, 1901, and they had five children and adopted a sixth. Garza was a civic leader who is best remembered for preventing the annexation of the San Felipe area by Del Rio Independent School District in 1928, allowing his community greater control of its schools, and for his leadership in the movement towards creating the San Felipe I.S.D. on Aug. 21, 1929. Garza died Jul. 25, 1936.
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16780.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Hispanic Americans. A significant historical date for this entry is August 21, 1929.
Location. 29° 21.274′ N, 100° 53.43′ W. Marker is in Del RioTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 508 West Garza Street, Del Rio TX 78840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brown Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cassinelli Gin House (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Taini (approx. half a mile away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (approx. half a mile away); Taylor-Rivers House (approx. half a mile away); Old Perry Building (approx. half a mile away); Seminole-Negro Scouts (approx. half a mile away); Roy Bean, C. S. A. (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Del Rio.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.