Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Stoever - Schick Building
Shortly after the fighting began on July 1st, the Stoever's quarters became an impromptu hospital for 20 wounded Union soldiers. Mrs. Stoever recalled the disruption in the house: "The Professor's recitation room became the amputation room..."
While the wounded were nursed upstairs three fugitive Union soldiers were secretly sustained in the cellar by the Professor until the Confederates found them on July 3rd.
Three days following the Confederate withdrawal, the Christian Commission took over Schick's store for their supply and distribution center, while the Stoevers ran an "open commissary" in their back yard, feeding an endless number of hungry soldiers.
Funding for this project assisted by NPS / American Battlefield Protection Program
Erected by Main Street Gettysburg.
Location. 39° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Company K, First Pennsylvania Reserves (here, next to this marker); Citizens of Gettysburg (a few steps from this marker); Wills House (within shouting distance of this marker); Return Visit (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Wills House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Wills House (within shouting distance of this marker); "... It was enough to frighten us to death!" (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
More about this marker. On the right is a photo of The Stoever-Schick building ca. 1888, appearing essentially as it did at the time of the Battle in July 1863.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for The Stoever - Schick Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 955 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 20, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.