Renner in Minnehaha County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Village of Renner
While Renner was one of the last towns to be established in Minnehaha County, the first homesteaders in the area arrived in 1866. Jonas and Anne Nelson traveled here from Minnesota by oxen-drawn covered wagons with friends John and Kirsti Thompson. They stopped at Fort Dakota, located in what is now downtown Sioux Falls, and were informed that civilians could not settle within the military reservation. The northern boundary of the 70-square-mile federal reservation was the same as the east-west County Highway 130 which bisects Renner today. Pushing on, the Nelsons claimed their homestead about two miles northwest of present day Renner. The area's first post office was established in the Nelson home with Jonas Nelson as postmaster. The site was named
Renner quickly became the trade center for inhabitants of Mapleton Township. A general store, Renner Mercantile, was located in a large two-story building which also included a barber shop, a pool hall, a post office, and a dance hall on the second floor.
A grain elevator, a stockyard and a small passenger and freight depot were located near the railroad tracks. Later businesses included a cafe, several trucking companies, a garage, a lumber yard, and the First State Bank of Renner. A mother and daughter bandit team held up the bank at gun point on November 27, 1925, and made off with several hundred dollars in bills and coins. Although the robbers made a getaway, they were later arrested prosecuted.
Since 1899, baseball has been a major recreational activity in Renner. The local team was first called the Flyers and later the Monarchs. The village has hosted the South Dakota Amateur Baseball Tournament four times, and Renner teams have won seven state championships. The Renner Band was organized in 1921 and played concerts at the bandshell in Renner Park and at the fairgrounds located northwest of this spot. The fairgrounds featured a grandstand and a one-half mile dirt track. Competing race car drivers attracted crowds of several
Overcoming adversity through the years, including occasional flooding by the nearby Big Sioux River, the village of Renner has steadily evolved into a vital and progressive community.
Erected 1996 by the Minnehaha County and South Dakota State Historical Societies, Mary Chilton DAR and Sioux Falls Area Foundations. (Marker Number 669.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Sports. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), and the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 43° 38.728′ N, 96° 43.645′ W. Marker is in Renner, South Dakota, in Minnehaha County. Marker is on 258th Street (County Road 130) 0.8 miles west of 475th Avenue (State Route 115), on the right when traveling west. Located near Mapleton Township Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47408 258th St, Renner SD 57055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lindbergh Landing / Renner Field (here, next to this marker); Renner Area Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Christensen 1917 Round BarnOld Nidaros (approx. 0.6 miles away); 1938 Earthquake (approx. 1.1 miles away); John Thompson, Pioneer / Early Settlers' Association (approx. 4.1 miles away); Swedona Evangelical Covenant Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Amidon Graves Mystery (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Renner.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2021. This page has been viewed 304 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2021. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.