York in York County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Nebraska 4-H Clubs Began in York County
In 1898 E. C. Bishop, a teacher in nearby Bradshaw, organized student clubs. Through these clubs he planned his school lessons so that they related to the students’ activities on the farm and in the home. The first projects Bishop assigned dealt with corn growing, sewing, and baking. Similar student activity clubs were organized in several states at this time, but Bishop’s efforts are regarded as the beginning of 4-H club work in Nebraska. Bishop became York County Superintendent of Schools in 1900 and continued to stress the importance of youth organizations. In 1905 he organized state-wide boys’ and girls’ associations. As State Superintendent of Schools (1909-1911), Bishop took charge of youth work. He wrote, “We expect each of our members to learn to do something worth doing —something the world wants done…. and to lead himself into an education that will bring the fullest development of the triunity — the hand, the head and the heart.” Although health has been added as the fourth “H”, Bishop’s beliefs are still idealized in 4-H work.
Erected by York County 4-H Committee; and Nebraska State
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Charity & Public Work • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the 4-H Youth Program, and the Nebraska State Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 40° 53.109′ N, 97° 35.393′ W. Marker is in York, Nebraska, in York County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Nebraska Avenue and 4-H Drive, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located directly in front of the York County 4-H Club Building at the York County Fairgrounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2345 North Nebraska Avenue, York NE 68467, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. York County Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Nebraska City Cut-Off of the Oregon Trail (approx. 1.8 miles away); Nebraska's I-80 Bicentennial Sculptures (approx. 4.6 miles away); Moving People and Goods on the Overland Trail (approx. 4.6 miles away); Nebraska City-Fort Kearny Cut-Off (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Purple Heart (approx. 4.7 miles away); Bradshaw (approx. 8.2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. 4-H History. organization (Submitted on June 8, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
2. A Brief History of Nebraska 4-H. By 1907, Bishop appealed to the readers of Nebraska Farmers magazine: “Can we find a name or emblem that can be used to refer to both boys and girls?” The answer came from a national source shortly thereafter. The first 4-H emblem came into use nationally in 1907 or 1908 and was designed as a three-leaf clover, standing for head, heart and hands. Hustle was added as the fourth H in 1911 but was later changed to health. (Submitted on September 8, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 8, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.