Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Site of Territorial Courthouse

 
 
Site of Territorial Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Cavinato, April 19, 2009
1. Site of Territorial Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The courthouse you see today, constructed in 1916 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is not the original one on this site. The first courthouse constructed on the Plaza, one of two city blocks set aside in 1864 for government use, was a smaller, but more elaborate brick structure built in 1878. It was an impressive structure that immediately became the symbolic focal point of young Yavapai County. Many important cases were heard here in the day when Prescott served as the Territorial Capital of Arizona (1864-1867 and 1877-1889). Arizona became State in 1912, four years before the current courthouse was constructed.
 
Erected by The Historic Preservation Fund and The City of Prescott.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1916.
 
Location. 34° 32.503′ N, 112° 28.135′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is at the intersection of East Gurley Street (Arizona Route 89) and
Site of Territorial Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Cavinato, June 23, 2009
2. Site of Territorial Courthouse Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
South Cortez Street, on the left when traveling west on East Gurley Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 South Cortez Street, Prescott AZ 86301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bashford Block (a few steps from this marker); Statehood Tree / Centennial Witness Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bank of Arizona and the Electric Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); Knights of Pythias Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Historic Yavapai County Courthouse Plaza Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Prescott National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Solon Hannibal Borglum America's First Cowboy Sculptor (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza Bandstand (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,454 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 20, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona.   2. submitted on June 27, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=18132

Paid Advertisement
May. 7, 2021