Appleton City in St. Clair County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Since the Beginning
In 1868, William Milton Prier was the owner of 520 acres of land which would become Appleton City. In 1870 when the Railroad came through this area, he sold most of his holdings for land development. However, he retained this site in Block 36 Lots 1-14, which was his home and the highest point in St. Clair County, Missouri.
In 1889, Prier sold the land to William H. and Anna Dunn who were faithful members of the First Christian Church. The Academy Boys called it the "Hilltop House." Anna held many church gatherings in their home. At their deaths, Anna willed the surrounding lots and the home for a parsonage for the church.
The wishing well pulley bucket foundation has been an area landmark since the very early days of the town when local high school students from the south walked across the lot to drink water from the well.
This property continues to be the First Christian Church Parsonage, home for the church minister.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 38° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 315 W 6th St, Appleton City MO 64724, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. M.K.&T Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Appleton City, Missouri (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Ludger Catholic Church (approx. 6.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2021, by Linda Lampkin of Appleton City, Missouri. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 9, 2021, by Linda Lampkin of Appleton City, Missouri. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.