Grand Island in Hall County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Central Nebraska Regional Airport
The first Grand Island airport, a grass field, was located approximately 1˝ miles south of the present terminal building on land owned by H. O. “Doc” Woodward. It was used by the Grand Island Aero Company, organized in 1919 by former World War I pilot Floyd B. Thompson. The city took over the airfield in 1928. United Airlines began air service in 1933 using the ˝ mile-long sod runways for its Boeing 247s.
On September 27, 1937, Arrasmith Field was dedicated on 640 acres north of the original field in honor of Dr. W. W. Arrasmith, who was instrumental in arranging the necessary financing using Department of Commerce, W.P.A., and city funds.
In 1942 the U.S. Government assumed control of the airfield for army air forces training, expanding it to 1,920 acres and 173 buildings. During World War II, 3,500 airmen, including those from the 6th, 502nd, and 376th Bombardment Groups, trained here in B-17 and B-29 heavy bombers. The airfield was returned to the city for civilian use in 1948 and is now operated by the Hall County Airport Authority.
Erected 2009 by Hall County Historical Society;
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • Charity & Public Work • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1919.
Location. 40° 58.155′ N, 98° 19.145′ W. Marker is on Grand Island, Nebraska, in Hall County. Marker can be reached from Sky Park Road, 0.6 miles north of East Airport Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in a small memorial plaza on the south side of the Central Nebraska Regional Airport terminal. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3773 Sky Park Road, Grand Island NE 68801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. B-29 Superfortress / 6th Bomb Group / Tinian Island (here, next to this marker); Arrasmith Field (here, next to this marker); Hall County Poor Farm Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); B-17 Bomber Crash, 1944 (approx. 2.2 miles away); 6th Bomb Group (approx. 2.6 miles away); Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); Hall County Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Seedling Mile (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Island.
Related markers.list of markers that are related to this marker. Central Nebraska Regional Airport
Also see . . .
1. Grand Island Army Air Field (Wikipedia). Grand Island Army Airfield was opened in 1942, and was one of eleven USAAF training bases in Nebraska during World War II. With the departure of the B-29 units the USAAF closed Grand Island Army Airfield on 31 October 1946. Today, about a dozen military buildings still exist at Central Nebraska Regional Airport including several aircraft hangars, some former warehouses being used for commercial storage and several sheds along with the old parachute building. (Submitted on September 12, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Grand Island Army Airfield/Central Nebraska Regional Airport. Emerging after World War II as one of the original Strategic Air Command bases, it was quickly deactivated in 1946. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, a number of nuclear-armed F-102 interceptors were dispersed to the field and a number of improvements to the field were instituted. By 1968, the air defense mission in central Nebraska declined and the field reverted to total civilian use. (Submitted on September 12, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. A Brief History of the Central Nebraska Regional Airport. Two hijackings have taken place at the airport. In April 1977 (Submitted on September 12, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. Central Nebraska Regional Airport (Wikipedia). In April 2016 a new Terminal was opened, costing estimated $20 million; the old terminal will become office space for the Hall County Airport Authority. Gate 1 now has a fully closed Jet Bridge or "Jetway" to the aircraft, a first for any airport in the Central Nebraska area. (Submitted on September 12, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 12, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.