Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bethel in Anderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bethel Cemetery

 
 
Bethel Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, September 6, 2021
1. Bethel Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  

Originally part of a Mexican land grant awarded to Jose de Jesus Grande in 1828, land at this site was later granted to early area settler Henry Rampy. Rampy, who had come to this part of Texas in 1848, deeded 5 acres of his land in 1859 for a community cemetery and church.

The earliest significant settlement of pioneers in the Bethel area came in 1846. By 1852, the community was thriving and a post office was established. The Bethel Cemetery was used largely by residents of the town and by settlers in other parts of Anderson and Henderson Counties. The earliest marked grave, that of M.B. Hodge, is dated 1862. Her husband, the Rev. Robert Hodge, who also is buried here, was a pioneer Cumberland Presbyterian minister. He was instrumental in the founding of the Science Hill academy, an important early educational institution in this part of the state. Other early settlers and their descendants are buried here, as are a number of Confederate veterans.

The Bethel community began to decline after the end of the Civil War and was largely gone by the time the post office was discontinued in 1914. This cemetery is the only
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
significant remnant of the once-thriving Anderson County community.
 
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8737.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
 
Location. 31° 55.41′ N, 95° 55.638′ W. Marker is in Bethel, Texas, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection of County Highway 2602 and County Highway 2601, on the left when traveling north on County Highway 2602. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tennessee Colony TX 75861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union Cemetery (approx. 7.8 miles away); Old Montalba (approx. 11 miles away); Lewis Corner (approx. 12 miles away); Owen Cemetery (approx. 14.8 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker is not facing the road, so only the edge of the marker is visible from the road. It stands just inside the cemetery fence/wall, to the left as one enters the main gate.
 
Bethel Cemetery and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, September 6, 2021
2. Bethel Cemetery and Marker
Edge of marker is visible inside the wall, to the left of the gate.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2021, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 608 times since then and 172 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2021, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=181660

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 18, 2024