Coalgate in Coal County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Coal County, Oklahoma
was voted on by the taxpayers of Coal
County to construct a new courthouse.
The bond was issued on June 1, 1968 and
was supported by a tax levy of 1/2 mil.
the debt was paid for on June 1, 1990.
Turnbull and Mills, Inc.
Eudaley-McMinimy and Assoc.
Carnahan and Thompson
County Commissioners Who Paid on His Bond Were:
Sam Nelson - Dist. 3
Willie Watkins - Dist. 2
Archie Angel - Dist. 1
Bill Sandmann - Dist. 2
Harry Farris - Dist. 2
Gary Coffee - Dist. 1
J.N. Flint - Dist. 3
Johnny D Ward - Dist. 2
Billy C. Jones - Dist. 1
County Treasurer Norma Palmer
Erected by Coal County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical date for this entry is June 1, 1968.
Location. 34° 32.283′ N, 96° 13.097′ W. Marker is in Coalgate, Oklahoma, in Coal County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main StreetTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4 South Main Street, Coalgate OK 74538, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stringtown Shootout (approx. 10.3 miles away); Historic Butterfield Trail in Indian Territory (approx. 11.2 miles away); Middle Boggy Battle (approx. 11.2 miles away); Captain Atoka (approx. 11.8 miles away); Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 11.8 miles away); 45th Infantry Division Memorial Highway (approx. 11.8 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 11.8 miles away); Cornerstone from [Atoka] County Courthouse (approx. 11.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Coal County, Oklahoma.
Mining became a mainstay of the county's economy during the 1870s. The first coal mine opened on Chief Allen Wright's land. The industry activity peaked between 1910 and 1916 but declined sharply after World War I. Many of the mines closed by 1921, due to the refusal of mining companies of the area to unionize. Some mines reopened during World War II, but these closed by 1958, because of the rising cost of refining sulfur out of the coal mined. Source: Wikipedia(Submitted on September 13, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 13, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.