Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Anadarko in Caddo County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Anadarko Community Library

"Ca. 1902"

 

— Historic Anadarko —

 
Anadarko Community Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, September 9, 2021
1. Anadarko Community Library Marker
Inscription.  The present location of the Anadarko Community Library was previously an auto garage then car dealership that was built in 1902 and remodeled in 1916. In 1925, it became an Auto Electric and Battery Shop.

In the mid 1980's, the library board began, in earnest, to locate another site for the library that would be large enough and would be accessible to all the citizens. In 1987, the city council allowed the board to hire an architect, and apply for a grant to help fund the library. Various locations were considered and, with the help of the architect, who specialized in renovating historical buildings, the vacant, sixty year old building that had been the Roy Hall Chevrolet Dealership, was chosen. In less than a year $604,016 was raised, exceeding the original goal of $500,000. A venture that seemed almost impossible became a reality with the backing and support of the entire community.

Memorials and donations came from individuals, families, and businesses. School children held fund-raisers, and local and area civic clubs donated. The trust sought and was awarded numerous grants from foundations. Hollytex Carpet Mill and
The view of the Anadarko Community Library and Marker from the sidewalk image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, September 9, 2021
2. The view of the Anadarko Community Library and Marker from the sidewalk
Click or scan to see
this page online
its employees donated the Community Room, which was dedicated to long-time employee Marvin Elrod. The children's section was donated by the Paul Allen Foundation in honor of his mother, Faye Gardner Allen, who as a high school student worked at the library. There were some who doubted an auto garage could be made into a library, but Mr. Beck, working with the library board, turned the old building into a beautiful, spacious, inviting place, retaining the feeling of the "old" while adding the functionality of the new. Wide-open spaces, lots of natural lighting, warm colors, and climate control make it a very pleasant place to be. Of particular interest is the children's "reading pit" which was once the grease pit of the garage.

On completion of the facility, books were moved the two blocks from the Masonic Temple using the "Book Brigade," hundreds of people forming a hand-to-hand assembly line into the library doors and onto the waiting shelves. The Anadarko Community Library was formally opened in September, 1990. Since that time, the library has become fully automated and offers computers for use by adults and children. From the letter to the newspaper announcing the Open House Cerebration in 1990, comes this quote, "We can all take pride, not only in the beauty and spaciousness of the building, but in the fact that community effort made it possible. Hundreds of people
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
contributed in whatever measure they could because they believe in Anadarko and its future. The result is a truly wonderful facility that we believe is unmatched in any other community of our size."
 
Erected by City of Anadarko.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1990.
 
Location. 35° 4.502′ N, 98° 14.767′ W. Marker is in Anadarko, Oklahoma, in Caddo County. Marker is on West Broadway Street, 0.1 miles west of Southwest 2nd Street, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located on the middle wall of the Anadarko Community Library building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 West Broadway Street, Anadarko OK 73005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Redskin Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); George's Department Store (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trophies N Things (about 400 feet away); Lonnie's (about 500 feet away); The Soda Fountain Eatery (about 600 feet away); Ideal Decorating Center (about 600 feet away); Historic Anadarko (about 700 feet away); Bryan Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anadarko.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 23 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=181825

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 22, 2021