Los Cerrillos in Santa Fe County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Built before 1893
The earliest records, 1893, show the two structures that are today the Briggs Building as saloons. By the late 1890s they had merged into one large saloon, but by 1902 the building on the left sold clothes & dry goods and the one on the right was a general store. During Prohibition (1920-1933) there was a tunnel that allowed the movement of goods between the basement of this building and the basement of Torreano's store across the street. E. J. Mitchell & family opened an antique shop here (1957-2013). In 2015, the Briggs remodeled the building and opened their business.
Erected by Cerrillos Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1893.
Location. 35° 26.227′ N, 106° 7.481′ W. Marker is in Los Cerrillos, New Mexico, in Santa Fe County. Marker is on 1st Street just north of Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cerrillos NM 87010, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Cerrillos Bar (a few steps from this marker); Welcome to Cerrillos (within Cerrillos through the Years (within shouting distance of this marker); DeLallo-Simoni-Torres Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Simoni Store (within shouting distance of this marker); R. Granito's General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Joe M. Granito Block (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); C. Rael's Market (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Los Cerrillos.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2021, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 14, 2021, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.