Saginaw in Saginaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
marks the site of
built in 1822
of Women's Clubs
Daughters of the
Erected 1916 by Saginaw Federation of Women's Clubs and Daughters of the
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1822.
Location. 43° 25.856′ N, 83° 56.141′ W. Marker is in Saginaw, Michigan, in Saginaw County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Federal Avenue and South Warren Avenue. Marker is inside the Castle Museum of Saginaw County History. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Federal Avenue, Saginaw MI 48607, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saginaw Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hoyt Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Jeffers Park (about 300 feet away, First Congregational Church (about 700 feet away); Saginaw Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Mary's Hospital (approx. half a mile away); Bliss Park (approx. one mile away); Bliss Park Soldiers Fountain Figure (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saginaw.
1. Original location of marker
"Saginaw Chapter, of Saginaw, marked on Sunday, September 24, 1916, two spots, one marking the site of old Fort Saginaw, ... the site now occupied by Hotel Fordney. The bronze tablet was placed on this building, and represents a picture of the old fort in bas-relief. This picture was from a drawing from memory from pioneers who remembered the outlines and general features of the old fort, called the old blockhouse."
— Daughters of the American Revolution. (1917). Nineteenth Report of The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (p. 114). Washington, [D.C.]: Government Printing Office. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/nyp.33433081834453
The Fordney Hotel, at the southwest corner of Court and South Hamilton Streets, burned down in 1991 and the marker is now in the Castle Museum of Saginaw County History (about 1.75 miles to the northeast).
— Submitted September 14, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on September 14, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the marker in its original location. • Can you help?