Jonesboro in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Battle of Jonesboro The Second Day
Hardee’s A. C. [CS], posted in a salient angle at the Warren house, was attacked by Carlin's 1st, Morgan’s 2d, & Baird's 3d divs. of Davis’ 14th A. C. Moving S. E. from the Fayetteville Rd. (at Riverdale), they went into action at 5 P. M.; the battle ended with nightfall & withdrawal of Hardee’s forces southward to Lovejoy's Station. Davis’ troops were aided on the left by Stanley’s 4th Corps which marched down the railroad.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-24.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 7, 1760.
Location. 33° 32.049′ N, 84° 21.161′ W. Marker is in Jonesboro, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of Jonesboro Road (Georgia Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jonesboro GA 30236, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hardee’s Corps at Jonesboro (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Warren House (about 500 feet away); Unknown Confederate Soldiers Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Two Days of Battle at Jonesboro (approx. ¼ mile away); Patrick Cleburne Confederate Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Attack by Lee's Corps (approx. half a mile away); The March to the Sea (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Johnson-Blalock House (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonesboro.
More about this marker. Marker adjoins the rear of the Warren House, one of the battlefield landmarks mentioned on the marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,652 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on April 22, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 21, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.