Comanche in Comanche County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
James Madison McCrary (1845-1932) came to Comanche about 1870. With his father and brother he operated a mercantile on the town square and began the county's first cotton gin. He married Ella Griffith in 1872 and began construction of this house in 1876. Built of limestone quarried near Austin, the central-hall structure features segmental arches and gable-end chimneys. A recognized horticulturist, McCrary moved to a farm east of Comanche in 1910. He returned here to retire in 1926. The home was owned by McCrary descendants until 1987.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3283.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 31° 53.484′ N, 98° 36.225′ W. Marker is in Comanche, Texas, in Comanche County. Marker is at the intersection of South Austin Street (State Highway 16) and East Pecan Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South Austin Street. The marker is located Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 802 South Austin Street, Comanche TX 76442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bison (American Buffalo) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Water on South Side of Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Comanche (approx. 0.4 miles away); Calaboose and rock with irons (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bicentennial Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); General Ashbel Smith, C.S.A. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Robert Thomas Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fleming Oak (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Comanche.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.