Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Comanche in Comanche County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Central Christian Church of Comanche

 
 
Central Christian Church of Comanche Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, September 8, 2021
1. Central Christian Church of Comanche Marker
Inscription.  

In 1855, Dr. G.W. Montgomery came to Comanche from Mississippi. He built a log cabin near his home, holding religious services there. In the late 1860s and 1870s the building was used for both a church and a school. It is believed that most members of this church transferred their membership to the Central Christian Church of Comanche after Dr. Montgomery's death.

Organized in 1894 by a visiting evangelist and 31 charter members, the Central Christian Church of Comanche shared services with the Presbyterians. The Christian Church's first pastor was Addison Clark, later president of Texas Christian University. In 1896, the congregation purchased a badly damaged Baptist church building for $475. By 1904 the church had moved into a new building.

Several beloved pastors have served the congregation, including ministerial students. When the church was without a pastor, members served as lay ministers. Church women, always active, helped to pay all financial debts on both church buildings, organized maintenance projects, and founded Christian Womens' Associations.

The members of the Central Christian Church
The front of the Central Christian Church of Comanche and Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, September 8, 2021
2. The front of the Central Christian Church of Comanche and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Comanche continue a tradition of active worship and service to the community.
 
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12520.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationWomen. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
 
Location. 31° 54.023′ N, 98° 36.226′ W. Marker is in Comanche, Texas, in Comanche County. Marker is at the intersection of North Austin Street (State Highway 16) and East College Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Austin Street. The marker is located at the front entrance to the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 North Austin Street, Comanche TX 76442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Matthews Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of John Wesley Hardin's Murder of Deputy Sheriff Charles Webb (about 700 feet away); Texas Longhorn (about 800 feet away); Jo G. Hardin and Cousins (about 800 feet away); John Wesley Hardin (about 800 feet away); Preacher Hardin Family (about 800 feet away); Royal King (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Comanche Chief (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Comanche.
 
The view of the Central Christian Church of Comanche and Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, September 8, 2021
3. The view of the Central Christian Church of Comanche and Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=181876

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 21, 2021