Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
During the “dark days” of 1940, after the German conquest of France and prior to the U.S. involvement in World War II, England stood alone against the threat of Nazi world domination. An island nation, England was totally dependent upon ships to bring here the food and supplies she needed to defend herself. The Nazis used their U-Boats to sink those ships in an attempt to strangle England by sea. The United States supplied England during World War II. Those supplies were delivered by ships crossing the Atlantic Ocean in convoys or protected groups. Part of the U.S. war effort was providing the British Navy with warships that could escort the convoys safely between the U.S. and England. In response to their need for a smaller, cheaper, faster-to-build escort vessel, the British Admiralty sought design proposals for a new ship. The ensuing design was known as the British Destroyer Escort. Following the United States’ entry into World War II, the U.S. Navy recognized the need for these ships and commissioned 44 of the EVARTS-class vessels. These new ships carried 3-inch/50 caliber cannons
Plans were made to build and commission new destroyer escort vessels in volume. The overall design of the ships remained the same throughout the production run, but the configuration of propulsion systems and armament changed as need and availability demanded. Each new configuration was given a new class name; that of the first vessel to be commissioned of that design. The BUCKLEY-class was next. The length of the ships grew from 289 feet to 306 feet, primarily to house a new propulsion system: steam-powered G[eneral] E[lectric] turbo-electric machinery. Amidships, the BUCKLEY-class vessels were equipped with a triple-tube torpedo launcher. One hundred fifty-four ships of the BUCKLEY-class were launched. The next variation was the GANNON-class vessels, driven by four G[eneral] M[otors] diesel generators providing power to twin electric motors. The USS SLATER is one of 72 GANNON-class vessels built. Next off the ways
It was during the construction run of the RUDDEROW-class vessels that the destroyer escort design was modified to that of the fast attack transport, or “APD.” Forty vessels were built as APDs and 22 as DEs. Conversion of BUCKLEY and RUDDEROW-class destroyer escorts to fast attack transports began in 1944. Ninety-five DEs were converted to APDs by the end of the war. An APD typically carried four “LCVP” landing craft
Time: The Second World War, 1944.
This ship was named in honor of Frank O. Slater, a 22 year-old from Fyffe, Alabama, who was killed in action at his battle station aboard the U.S.S. SAN FRANCISCO during an air raid off Guadalcanal on 12 November, 1942. Frank was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for gallantry in action.
The U.S.S. SLATER (DE-766) was launched on 13 February, 1944 at the Tampa (Florida) Shipbuilding Company, sponsored by Frank’s mother, Mrs. James L. Slater. DE-766 was commissioned on May 1, 1944, Lt. Commander M. J. Blancq in command.
With the shakedown cruise off Bermuda behind them, her crew of 216 officers and men sailed for Boston, Massachusetts on 25 June to await assignment. From July through mid-September, SLATER acted as a target ship for training Torpedo Bomber/Fighter squadrons, and as a sonar school ship. With a brief stopover in New York City, the SLATER made her way to Portland, Maine for training, returning to New York City in early October. SLATER
On 8 June 1945, the SLATER sailed for San Diego, California via Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and the Panama Canal, arriving on 6 July. On 9 July, she set out for Pearl Harbor. Routed to the Philippines Islands via Eniwetok, one of the Marshall Islands, she joined a task unit at Manila on 5 September and escorted it to Yokohama, Japan. She picked up a return convoy to Manila, and continued escorting convoys in the Pacific, operating out of the Philippine Islands until the end of January 1946, when she sailed for San Pedro, California.
Time: The Post Second World War Era
Following the end of the war many of the surviving destroyer escorts and fast attack transports that were not scrapped or sunk as target vessels were given to Taiwan, South Korea, Mexico, Chile, Peru, Brazil, Uruguay, Greece, Holland, Italy, Thailand, and Japan under the Military Defense Assistance Program. Some were modified and updated and remained in service in the U.S. Navy and U.S. Coast Guard as frigates well into the Viet Nam War era while others were put into the “Mothball Fleet” following
Shortly after arriving at San Pedro, U.S.S. SLATER received orders routing her to Norfolk, Virginia for deactivation. She arrived there on 26 March 1946 and was prepared for decommissioning. A month later she sailed for Green Cove Springs, Florida. On 13 February, 1947, three years to the day after her launching at Tampa, she was towed to Charleston, South Carolina. In May she was towed back to Green Cove Springs where she was placed in reserve, out of Commission.
On 1 March 1951, SLATER was selected to be one of four destroyer escorts transferred to the Greek government under the Military Defense Assistance Program (Truman Doctrine). Brought out of mothballs, she was re-christened AETOS (“Eagle”) D-01 by the Greeks, and saw forty years of service as a patrol and officer training vessel in the Hellenic Navy. AETOS appeared in the movie Guns of Navarone. She was retired from the Hellenic Navy in 1991.
Time: The Present–Saving the U.S.S. SLATER
In the early 1980s, the 15,000 member Destroyer Escort Sailors Association [DESA] began searching for a suitable museum ship. Their search eventually led them to AETOS, the last DE in her original rig and available for restoration. Negotiations with the Greek government produced an agreement that transferred ownership of AETOS directly
The Destroyer Escort Historical Foundation [DEHF] formed out of DESA to begin raising funds for restoration of the SLATER to her late-World War II configuration and to find her a permanent home. Their search was aided by the New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs, whose Military History Branch coordinated the initial meetings between the Destroyer Escort Historical Foundation and the City of Albany. An agreement was sealed in July of 1997, and on Sunday, 26 October 1997 the U.S.S. SLATER arrived at the Port of Albany.
A new volunteer restoration crew began forming around Timothy Rizzuto, ship’s superintendent, to carry out the DEHF’s vision of restoration, and a five year work plan was devised to return the vessel to her 1945 rig. Aboard SLATER, docked nearly out of sight in the Port of Albany, the tedious, painstaking work
Of the 565 destroyer escorts that were launched during the war, SLATER is the only surviving destroyer escort afloat in her WWII rig. The force behind SLATER’s restoration has been the men who sailed ships like her during and after World War II and who continue to donate their time, money and labor to keep their legacy alive. We invite you to join them in their efforts and welcome your financial contributions–funds that all go directly into the continuing restoration of Albany’s One-Ship Navy: U.S.S. SLATER (DE-766).
This plaque is placed here in recognition of the volunteers from New York City and Albany areas, SOLDESA, and Destroyer Escort veterans everywhere who have worked, and who continue to work, to make this restoration a reality.
[Diagram of a WWII destroyer escort, highlighting its weaponry and design components.]
Erected by Destroyer Escort Historical Foundation and the City of Albany.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Military • Patriots & Patriotism • War, World II • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 42° 38.549′ N, 73° 44.995′ W. Marker is in Albany, New York, in Albany County. Marker can be reached from Broadway. Marker is on the pier at the brow of the museum ship, USS SLATER which is on the west bank of the Hudson River, off Broadway at the end of Madison Avenue, and adjacent to I-787 and the Dunn Memorial Bridge (U.S. Hwy. 20/9). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 141 Broadway, Albany NY 12202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Phase 3 Albany 2002 - Present (here, next to this marker); Phase 2 Albany 1997 - 2001 (here, next to this marker); Phase 1 New York City 1993-1997 (here, next to this marker); Fort Crailo (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Orange (approx. 0.3 miles away); Albany - Capital of New York 200 Years (approx. 0.4 miles away); Declaration of Independence Centennial Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); SUNY Plaza (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Also see . . .
1. USS Slater. (Submitted on April 22, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Destroyer Escort Sailors Assoc. - History. (Submitted on April 23, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. Destroyer Escort USS Slater Museum. (Submitted on April 23, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Hudson River; Great Britain; Royal Navy; Battle of the Atlantic.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,269 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 22, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2. submitted on November 11, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 3. submitted on April 22, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 3, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 7. submitted on November 11, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 8. submitted on June 5, 2011, by Vangelis Rassias of Athens, attikaiGreece. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.