Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Rices Landing in Greene County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Dilworth Mine

 
 
Dilworth Mine Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bradley Owen, September 6, 2021
1. Dilworth Mine Marker
Inscription.  
First Commercial Coal Mine

"Commercial" coal mining in Greene County began in 1902 when the Dilworth Coal Company produced 36,400 tons of Pittsburgh coal from its mine at Rices Landing on the Monongahela River. This appears to be the first mine in Greene County that was supervised and regulated by the Pennsylvania Department of Mines.

The Dilworth Coal Company was chartered in August 1901. Capitalized at $300,000, its directors were H.P. Dilworth, Frank E. Richardson, Newton Hemphill, and J. Marshall Lockhard, all of Pittsburgh. The officers were H.P. Dilworth, president; George M. Dilworth, secretary; and C.B. McLean, treasurer.

The mine was located on a 150-acre tract and initially extracted coal from an 800-acre area along the Monongahela River. Development began shortly after the company was chartered. By November 1901 an air shaft and a hoisting shaft, each 145 deep and about 300 feet apart, were sunk to the ten-foot thick Pittsburgh or "river vein" of coal. To accommodate its laborers and miners, the company built 45 houses and was planning to build 50 more. By March 1902, the company had
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
invested about $400,000 in the enterprise. All coal was shipped by company boats to the Pittsburgh market.

By 1905, the Dilworth Mine was the only mine included in the bituminous section of the Annual Report of Pennsylvania's Department of Mines for Greene County. In that year, it had produced 105,000 tons of coal from the Pittsburgh seam. There were 128 men employed and the superintendent was James Black.

In 1914, Rices Landing Coal and Coke Company acquired the mine and 190 coke ovens located along the river. A few years later, they sold to H.C. Frick Coke Company.

The Dilworth Mine continued in operation after World War I when many mines had closed and the industry was declining. It continued to produce coal until its closure in 1928.

The Dilworth Mine was re-opened in 1974 by United States Steel Corporation with different entrances. It was sold to Consolidation Coal Company in 1984 and closed in 2002.

Captions:

Dilworth Coal Company with railroad tracks and tipple.
Brice & Linda Rush private collection

1925 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps
 
Erected 2020 by Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Rivers of Steel, Greene County Museum, Greene County Tourist Promotion Agency.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic
Dilworth Mine Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bradley Owen, September 6, 2021
2. Dilworth Mine Marker
View is looking north on the Greene River Trail.
list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1902.
 
Location. 39° 57.306′ N, 80° 0.488′ W. Marker is near Rices Landing, Pennsylvania, in Greene County. Marker can be reached from Main Street north of Rices Landing Road (County Route 1010), on the left when traveling north. Marker is located on the Greene River Trail north of the Rices Landing Trailhead parking lot. The parking lot is located on Main Street across from Rices Landing United Methodist Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 Main Street, Rices Landing PA 15357, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Coke & Coke Ovens (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gateway Mine (about 500 feet away); Railroad (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rices Landing (approx. 0.4 miles away); Monongahela River (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rice's Landing Jail (approx. 0.6 miles away); Isaac Hewitt Pottery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Foundry (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rices Landing.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 285 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on September 15, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 11, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=181902

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024