Cooleemee in Davie County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cooleemee's Brick High School
Cooleemee High School was ready for occupancy on February 10, 1923. In 1925 the senior class published its first year book.
This modern structure was built with sixteen classrooms and an auditorium which seated 1,000. The auditorium stage measured 38'x60' and doubled as a basketball court.
From the beginning the school and its surrounding community shared the closest of bonds. The auditorium was full of proud parents and kinfolk for every school play, music recital, basketball tournament and commencement ceremony.
The community also utilized school facilities for J.C. Sell's annual fiddlers conventions and for lectures by the travelling Chautauqua group. A community cannery was added to the school yard in the 1930s and the Cooleemee School PTA was chartered in 1938.
In the 1930's the County Board of Education along with the Works Progress Administration built eight new classrooms. At the initiative of Erwin Mills, Textile
A new gymnasium had a seating capacity of 1,000 on roll-away bleachers. An up-to-date industrial arts shop was added along with a new home economics classroom. A new cafeteria in the basement had a seating capacity of 150 students and staff.
School principals included Samuel Holton, W. T. Moore, E.W. Junker, George E. Smith, G. R. Madison and V.G. Prim.
Among its beloved teachers were: Annie Bost, Mrs. A. D. Walters, James Wall, Maude Bost, Lucille Bumgarner, Alma Bass, Gertie Smith, Elizabeth Carnes, Mrs. W. J. Moody, Paul Donnelly, "Shorty” Coulter, Mary Zachary, Marjorie Mosely, Mary Lee McMahan, Ralph Sinclair, Charlotte Purcell, Sue Munday, Beaulah Apperson, Lucille Ward, Tom Ridenhour, Jack Ward, Lena Sink, Ruth Bessent, Ruby Moore, Polly Bahnson, Mary Wall Sexton and Mariola Crawford.
The Class of 1956 was the last to graduate from Cooleemee High School. Much to the distress of local citizens it was demolished and set ablaze in 1974.
In 1998 a time capsule was buried 18 yards north of this spot to commemorate Cooleemee's Centennial year. It will be opened in the year 2048.
Erected 1998 by Class of 1949 & Cooleemee Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is February 10, 1923.
Location. 35° 48.902′ N, 80° 33.172′ W. Marker is in Cooleemee, North Carolina, in Davie County. Marker is on Marginal Street east of Joyner Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cooleemee NC 27014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hugh T. Lefler (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cooleemee's Old Wood School (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Stokes (approx. 2.4 miles away); Davie County in the Civil War (approx. 5˝ miles away); Boone Memorial (approx. 5˝ miles away); H. Andrew Lagle (approx. 5˝ miles away); Davie County War Memorial (approx. 5˝ miles away); The Boone Family in Davie County (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cooleemee.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2021, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 15, 2021, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.