“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Crossville in Cumberland County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Kemmer Stand / Tavern

Kammer Stand / Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
August 20, 2009
1. Kammer Stand / Tavern Marker
Inscription.  In 1817, John Kemmer purchased land here and built Kemmer Stand, a wayside inn, at the intersection of Burke Road. It was two-story, two-section structure that housed many travelers traversing the Cumberland Plateau. At the crest of this hill lies Walton or Great Stage Road. Built in 1800, it was the first federal road across the Plateau.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2 C 20.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list.
Location. 35° 55.71′ N, 84° 54.818′ W. Marker is near Crossville, Tennessee, in Cumberland County. Marker is on Interstate 40. Marker is at exit 327 in Rest Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crossville TN 38558, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Champ Ferguson (a few steps from this marker); Veteran's Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); "Tinker Dave" Beaty (approx. 2.1 miles away); Cumberland Homesteads Historic District
Kammer Stand / Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
August 20, 2009
2. Kammer Stand / Tavern Marker
(approx. 4.3 miles away); Cumberland County Families (approx. 5.1 miles away); Thomas "Big Foot" Spencer (approx. 5.1 miles away); Built in 1935 by Wm. Garrison (approx. 6.4 miles away); Built in 1938 (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crossville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,801 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 8, 2020