Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palo Pinto in Palo Pinto County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Palo Pinto Methodist Church

 
 
Palo Pinto Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 8, 2021
1. Palo Pinto Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Methodist services in this area began about 1859, when the Rev. Matt Williams, a circuit-riding minister, helped organize this congregation. A church building was erected that year, and in 1866 the Rev. Melton Jones was appointed to the Palo Pinto Mission. The Methodists shared a structure built in 1885 with other denominations. A new Methodist sanctuary was built in 1936. Additional facilities were later built for educational and social activities. A part of Palo Pinto history for more than a century, this church remains an integral part of the community.
 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3921.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
 
Location. 32° 46.021′ N, 98° 17.87′ W. Marker is in Palo Pinto, Texas, in Palo Pinto County. Marker is at the intersection of Oak Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling east on Oak Street. The marker is located in front of the Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 419 Oak Street, Palo Pinto TX 76484, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of Palo Pinto (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jonathan Hamilton Baker (about 400 feet away); Courthouses of Palo Pinto County (about 400 feet away); John Richard Winters (about 400 feet away); Old County Jail (about 400 feet away); Palo Pinto County War Memorial (about 500 feet away); First Christian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Palo Pinto Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palo Pinto.
 
The Palo Pinto Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 8, 2021
2. The Palo Pinto Methodist Church and Marker
The view of the Palo Pinto Methodist Church and Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 8, 2021
3. The view of the Palo Pinto Methodist Church and Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=181956

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024