Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palo Pinto in Palo Pinto County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Palo Pinto

 
 
First Baptist Church of Palo Pinto Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 8, 2021
1. First Baptist Church of Palo Pinto Marker
Inscription.  Soon after the founding of the town of Golconda (Palo Pinto) in 1857, frontier missionary and cattleman George Webb Slaughter organized the Baptist church in the community. A charter member of the Brazos River Baptist Association, the congregation reported eleven additions by letter and seventeen by baptism in its first year. The membership endured extremes of nature, conflict with Native Americans and economic challenges to survive. Merging with Slaughter Valley Baptist Church, the members moved to a frame sanctuary at this site in 1886. A new church building (1952), educational and fellowship building and parsonage continue to serve the historic congregation.
 
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14488.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
 
Location. 32° 45.973′ N, 98° 17.834′ W. Marker is in Palo Pinto, Texas, in Palo Pinto County. Marker is at the intersection of South 4th Street and Elm Street, on the right when traveling south on South
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
4th Street. The marker is located south of the entrance to the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 234 South 4th Street, Palo Pinto TX 76484, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Palo Pinto Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old County Jail (about 400 feet away); Jonathan Hamilton Baker (about 700 feet away); Courthouses of Palo Pinto County (about 700 feet away); John Richard Winters (about 700 feet away); Palo Pinto County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Palo Pinto Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palo Pinto.
 
The view of the First Baptist Church of Palo Pinto and Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 8, 2021
2. The view of the First Baptist Church of Palo Pinto and Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=181957

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024