Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Page in Holt County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Page School

 
 
Page School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 7, 2021
1. Page School Marker
Inscription.  The first Page School was a small sod building located ˝ mile south of Page and was erected in 1883. It was open for seven years. In 1891, a large 2-story wooden schoolhouse was erected on the block west of the Page Park. In 1892, the students put on a class play, “A Ticket of Leave.” $20.00 in admission charges were raised to purchase this bell which was mounted on the roof of the schoolhouse. In 1916, a new brick schoolhouse was erected just north of the wooden schoolhouse. The bell was moved to a new home on top of a metal tower in front of the new schoolhouse where it rang welcoming students for 116 years. The school closed in 2008.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
 
Location. 42° 24.057′ N, 98° 25.022′ W. Marker is in Page, Nebraska, in Holt County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Street (State Highway 45A Spur) and Main Street, on the left when traveling south on 5th Street. Marker and bell are located in the city park at the northeast corner of the intersection. Touch for map
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is in this post office area: Page NE 68766, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Page Base Line (here, next to this marker); O’Neill (approx. 9.7 miles away); These Flags Fly (approx. 10.7 miles away); The Savidge Brothers, Aviation Pioneers (approx. 10.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  First Page School. The sod, one-room building about fourteen feet by sixteen feet was made of footboards banked with sod. There were two windows in the east and two in the west. The door was in the south and a blackboard and recitation bench were placed across the north end. Benches served as seats and desks. This sod structure served as a school, community meeting place and place of worship until 1890. (Submitted on September 16, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Marker detail: Page School image. Click for full size.
2. Marker detail: Page School
Page School Marker & Bell image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 7, 2021
3. Page School Marker & Bell
(looking east from 5th Street)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 69 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=181975

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024