Isleton in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Isletonís Historic Old Town
In 1874 Dr. Josiah Poole founded the town and built a wharf the following year, giving Isleton access to the outside world and farming began.
The Chinese settled in the town and were joined by Japanese immigrants. Their original home sites were on Jackson Slough Road, south of the present historical district, but were destroyed by fire in 1915. The town was rebuilt at the present location only to burn again in 1926. It was rebuilt once again, however this time the buildings were constructed with metal exterior siding as a fire precaution.
This unique community continues on today with the restoration of these old buildings, reflecting their original heritage.
New Helvetia Chapter #5
E Clampus Vitus
In association with the Isleton Historical Society
Erected 2000 by New Helvetia Chapter #5, E Vitus Clampus in associtation with the Isleton Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 38° 9.739′ N, 121° 36.569′ W. Marker is in Isleton, California, in Sacramento County. Marker is on Second Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404 Second Street, Isleton CA 95641, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hotel Del Rio and Casino (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bing Kong Tong Society Building (about 700 feet away); Mei Wah Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); K. Nakano Co. Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); 66 Main Street (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pony Express River Steamer ďNew WorldĒ (approx. 4.4 miles away); Humphrey the Humpback Whale (approx. 4.4 miles away); Veterans of Foreign Wars (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Isleton.
Also see . . . History of Isleton. Through the evolution of time, Isleton changed in many ways. Once a thriving town on the Sacramento River (rather sizable in its day), (Submitted on April 23, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
1. Description of Photo #4
Looking north after entering Isleton, the Gardner Building is on the left and the Bank of Isleton, on the right. Isleton's first building, the Gardner Building, was erected in 1878 by Philip Hogate Gardiner who had come to California in 1868. It was stocked with general merchandise. The vertical wooden sign "Hardware" was prominently placed on the front of the building. In 1879 the building was the site of the first post office, of which Mr. Gardiner was appointed postmaster, a position he held for life. Over the Gardiner store on the second floor was the IOOF (Odd Fellows) Hall.
Just across the street from the Gardiner Building is the brick Bank of Isleton, erected in 1918 by James Wilber Gardiner, son of Philip Hogate Gardiner. He became
— Submitted April 23, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.
2. Description of Photo #5
In this Asian American district gambling halls owned by the Bing Kung Tong provided employment and recreation for the Chinese and Japanese Americans during the 1930ís. There were four gambling halls that fronted Main Street, west of F Street. Patrons of the gambling halls were provided hot cups of tea and were served one of two meals a day, free of charge. Not only Chinese workers frequented the hall. Filipinos, Japanese, East Indians and Caucasians also visited the gambling parlors.
This two-story frame building at 33 Main Street was covered with pressed tin sheathing. The original front faÁade had a recessed, windowless entryway with several doors. This building and those adjacent were 3 of the 4 gambling establishments. Built after the 1926 fire the building has been designated as part of the Asian American Historic District.
The First Chinatown was located near Jackson Slough, southwest of town in 1878. A fire occurred in 1917, destroying the entire area. Yee Toy, whose father relocated from Truckee in 1885,
This two-story frame building covered with tin sheathing at 33 Main Street was one of the four gambling houses owned by the local Bing Kung Tong Association. As the canneries closed and the population declined, the gambling houses closed in the 1950ís. It is now privately owned and in the midst of restoration.
— Submitted April 24, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.
Additional keywords. Chinese Americans, Japanese Americans
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,155 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 23, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 2. submitted on September 9, 2010, by Erik Bigglestone of Contra Costa County, California. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 23, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 7. submitted on April 24, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 8. submitted on September 9, 2010, by Erik Bigglestone of Contra Costa County, California.