Shelby in Polk County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Village of Shelby
Incorporated October 27, 1885
In 1873 Horace A. Cowles, Civil War veteran, set up the Cyclone post office in his home one mile east and one mile south of present-day Shelby. A second post office, Arcade, was established one mile east of town in 1879; a year later it moved to the present location to be near the Omaha & Republican Valley Railroad, later the Union Pacific. Shelby was named after a railroad official.
Landowners Gilbert Van Vorce and Peter Matter gave the railroad half interest in their property to develop a trade center. Original streets retain their names: Walnut, Elm, Chestnut, Pine, Cherry, and Oak.
By the 1880s, the town had a drugstore, hardware store, hotel, boot and shoe shop, livery stable, bank, brick factory, and physician. The Shelby Sun newspaper was founded in 1889. Before 1900, Shelby had its own electric light plant. Telephone service arrived in 1903 and a water system in 1911. John Dunning and his father built radio station KGBY in 1926.
Shelby was home to well-known Nebraska artist Terence Duran, 1904-1968.
Erected 2017 by The Brigham Family; Shelby Chamber of Commerce;
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 27, 1885.
Location. 41° 11.62′ N, 97° 25.569′ W. Marker is in Shelby, Nebraska, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of Walnut Street and Oak Street, on the left when traveling north on Walnut Street. Marker is located in a small pedestrian plaza at the southwest corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shelby NE 68662, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Osceola And The Early Pioneers (approx. 6.1 miles away); Polk County Courthouse (approx. 6.4 miles away); Dedicated to the Pioneers of Polk County (approx. 6.4 miles away); Stromsburg (approx. 10.7 miles away); The Lincoln Highway - Gardiner Station Section (approx. 13.6 miles away); Gardiner School (approx. 13.6 miles away); Duncan (approx. 14.1 miles away); Lincoln Highway (approx. 14.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Shelby, Nebraska. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on March 13, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 17, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2. submitted on September 18, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.