Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Galax, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old County Seat

 
 
Old County Seat Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, September 17, 2021
1. Old County Seat Marker
Inscription.  Grayson County, formed in 1792 from Wythe County, was named for William Grayson, one of Virginia's first two United States senators. Its court initially met at William Bourne's farm near present-day Fries. Here at Old Town, earlier known as Greenville, the county erected its first courthouse ca. 1794. That log structure was replaced in 1834 with a brick Federal-style courthouse constructed by James Toncray, builder of several other courthouses in Southwest Virginia. The clerk's office here dates from 1810. After Carroll County split off in 1842. Grayson County shifted its seat westward to present-day Independence, where the court began meeting in l851.
 
Erected 2016 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number U-25.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1792.
 
Location. 36° 39.284′ N, 80° 57.642′ W. Marker is in Galax, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Greenville Road (Virginia Route 640) and Justice Road (Virginia Route 634), on the right when traveling
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
west on Greenville Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galax VA 24333, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fries (approx. 0.9 miles away); Carroll County / Grayson County (approx. 2 miles away); Galax: Home of Traditional Mountain Music (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Railroad: Lifeline to the World (approx. 2.1 miles away); Galax (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Galax (approx. 2.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fries (approx. 4.4 miles away); “New River Train” Song (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galax.
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced the previous marker across the street.
 
Old County Seat Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, September 17, 2021
2. Old County Seat Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2021, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 18, 2021, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=182112

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024