Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Town of Michigan /Lansing

 
 
Town of Michigan (front side) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, July 21, 2002
1. Town of Michigan (front side) Marker
Inscription.  
Town of Michigan

)
In 1847, required by Michigan's 1835 constitution to choose a permanent capital site within the first decade of statehood, the legislature voted to move the capital from Detroit. Convinced that the governmental seat should be in the state's interior, legislators voted to relocate in Ingham County's unsettled Lansing Township. Citizens viewed the choice with skepticism-believing the decision was a joke that backfired. The capital commission platted the "Town of Michigan" in 1847 and chose a site bounded by Washington and Capitol avenues and Allegan and Washtenaw streets for a temporary capitol building. When the legislature met that year, many members were forced to lodge in private homes; others made their beds on the capitol floor. During that session, the legislature renamed the capital city Lansing.

Lansing

The town of Michigan was planned in 1847 as the state capital. In April the state legislature considered renaming the capital Pewanogowink, Swedenborg or El Dorado, but chose Lansing, after John Lansing, an American Revolution hero. At that time the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
capital was a wilderness fraught with wolves and a "brain fever" (spinal meningitis) epidemic. In 1859, Lansing was incorporated as a city. During the 1870s, Lansing's lyceums and literary societies hosted author Mark Twain and actor Edwin Booth. The 1847 capitol, considered "an old rattle trap," was replaced by the present building in 1879. Primarily an agricultural community, Lansing developed as a manufacturing center in the 1890s. In 1897, Ransom Eli Olds organized the Olds Motor Vehicle Company, Michigan's first operating automobile company.
 
Erected 1991 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number S0629.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
 
Location. 42° 44.02′ N, 84° 33.199′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on North Capitol Avenue. The marker is on the grounds of the Michigan State Capitol. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lansing MI 48933, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lansing Labor Holiday (a few steps from this marker); Michigan State Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); Michigan State Capitol / Michigan's Three Capitols
Lansing Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, September 19, 2021
2. Lansing Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Austin Blair (within shouting distance of this marker); Freedom Patriotism Humanity (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fannie Richards (about 300 feet away); Michigan (about 300 feet away); Herbert Henry Dow (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
 
Michigan State Capitol image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, July 21, 2002
3. Michigan State Capitol
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 520 times since then and 82 times this year. Last updated on September 20, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. Photos:   1. submitted on March 4, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland.   2. submitted on September 20, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.   3. submitted on March 4, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=182190

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 24, 2024