Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Durant Park / Durant Park Arch

 
 
Durant Park Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Rieske, June 2, 2017
1. Durant Park Marker
Inscription.  
Durant Park
William C. Durant was one of Michigan's most important industrialists and the founder of the General Motors Corporation. In 1919 Durant purchased this three-acre city block, once the estate of Mortimer Cowles, an Eaton Rapids carpenter who worked on the state capitol. Durant hired Kalamazoo landscape contractor Charles Maxon to create an urban Park. (Maxson also landscaped the Durant Motors Company's 500,000-square-foot facility on Verlinden Avenue in the City of Lansing.) In 1921 Durant donated the property to the city of Lansing as a park for north side residents. The park included flowerbeds and trees, serpentine concrete pathways, and a circular fountain basin in the center of the park. A parade marked the dedication on June 23, 1921.

Durant Park Arch
The city of Lansing erected the Durant Park Arch in 1924 in gratitude to automobile magnate William C. Durant, who donated this park to the city in 1921. That same year, he built a $3 million factory in Lansing, known as the "Ver Linden" Branch of Durant Motors, which produced the Durant and Star models. When it opened, the plant had 3,000 employees
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and was credited with increasing the city's population by 15,000 people. The Lansing-based Christman Company built the arch. The monument is built of brick masonry and Indiana limestone. The name "Durant Park" was lit from the inside with electric bulbs so that it would be visible at night. This architectural monument is the only one of its kind in Lansing. It was restored in 2004.
 
Erected 2005 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2147.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1924.
 
Location. 42° 44.482′ N, 84° 33.18′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is at the intersection of East Saginaw Street and North Washington Avenue on East Saginaw Street. Marker is located in the middle of Durant Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 N Capitol Ave, Lansing MI 48906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Weather Bureau (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rogers-Carrier House (about 700 feet away); John T. Herrmann House (about 800 feet away); Louis Beck House
Durant Park Arch Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Rieske, June 2, 2017
2. Durant Park Arch Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); VFW Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Michigan Education Association / Michigan Association of Counties (approx. ¼ mile away); The Kaplan House (approx. ¼ mile away); First Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
 
More about this marker. Arch is at the SE corner of Durant Park.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Durant Park with Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Rieske, June 2, 2017
3. Durant Park with Marker
Durant Park Arch image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Rieske
4. Durant Park Arch
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 403 times since then and 50 times this year. Last updated on September 22, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 2, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan.   4. submitted on May 23, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=182339

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024