Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Tiptonville in Lake County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Tiptonville Presbyterian Church

 
 
Tiptonville Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 17, 2009
1. Tiptonville Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  Organized in October 1880 by Rev. J.E. Carne. Charter members were R.S. Bradford and two daughters, Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Arnett, Mr. and Mrs. A.B. Cook, Mrs. Emma Whitford Alexander, Richard Owen and wife, Nimmie Tipton Owen, daughter of William Tipton, early settler for whom Tiptonville was named. Present building was erected in 1892, Rev. William Thorne, pastor, Richard Owen, builder.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4B 31.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 36° 22.686′ N, 89° 28.532′ W. Marker is in Tiptonville, Tennessee, in Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street (Tennessee Route 21) and Cedar Street (Tennessee Route 22), on the right when traveling east on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tiptonville TN 38079, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Clifton Bledsoe Cates (approx. half a mile away);
Tiptonville Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 17, 2009
2. Tiptonville Presbyterian Church and Marker
Capture of Island No. 10 (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named General Clifton Bledsoe Cates (approx. 2˝ miles away); Reelfoot Lake (approx. 2.6 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps and Reelfoot Lake State Park (approx. 2.6 miles away); Confederate Burials (approx. 3.9 miles away); a different marker also named Capture of Island No. 10 (approx. 4˝ miles away); Confederate Forts & Batteries (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tiptonville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,022 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 25, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 9, 2020