Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Aransas Pass in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church

of Aransas Pass

 
 
First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 31, 2021
1. First United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Efforts to create a regional shipping center and port in this vicinity began in the middle 19th century. By 1890, plans were well underway to dig a ship channel and develop Aransas Harbor City. Residents of Aransas Harbor (now Aransas Pass) used a structure known as the Dwyer and Drummond Pavilion for meetings and events. On February 22, 1891, seven men and women met there and organized as the First Methodist Episcopal Church, South, under the leadership of the Rev. J.W. Groves. The Rev. J.W. Sims arrived later that year to serve as pastor.

Many of the church's early ministers lived in nearby Rockport, serving a congregation there and traveling to Aransas Pass twice monthly for Sunday services. First Methodist Church constructed its first sanctuary in late 1892 on what is now South McCampbell Street and shared it with the local Christian Church, the second congregation to organize in the community. Rockport and Aransas Pass Methodists not only shared a pastor in the early years, but also met frequently for picnics and fellowship. Pastors serving the two congregations added an Ingleside Charge, but in 1940 the Aransas Pass Church
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
established a full-time pastorate during a boom in the city's economy.

Over the years, members of First Methodist built new facilities and survived several major storms. Following the devastation of Hurricane Celia in 1970, the church's education wing served as the Aransas Emergency Hospital for four months and the fellowship hall became a community communications center. Through outreach and service programs, as well as fellowship, worship, education and music, the congregation continues to support and sustain residents of Aransas Pass.
 
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13261.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is February 22, 1891.
 
Location. 27° 54.322′ N, 97° 9.379′ W. Marker is in Aransas Pass, Texas, in San Patricio County. Marker is at the intersection of South 8th Street and West Nelson Avenue, on the left when traveling south on South 8th Street. The marker is located at the front entrance to the Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 523 South 8th Street, Aransas Pass TX 78336, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Great Land Lottery of Aransas Pass (approx. half a mile away); VFW (approx. 0.6 miles away); John Wiebel VFW Post 2932
The First United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 31, 2021
2. The First United Methodist Church and Marker
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Aransas Pass First Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Terminal Railroad (approx. 0.9 miles away); Cementerio San Antonio de Padua (approx. 3 miles away); Late Pleistocene Ingleside Fauna (approx. 3˝ miles away); Early Ingleside Schools (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aransas Pass.
 
The view of the First United Methodist Church and Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 31, 2021
3. The view of the First United Methodist Church and Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 181 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 29, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=182775

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024