Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
East Columbia in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Nash-Wright House

 
 
The Nash-Wright House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Chris Kneupper
1. The Nash-Wright House Marker
Inscription.  

One of oldest houses surviving in Stephen F. Austin colony town of Bell's Landing (East Columbia), founded 1823 by Josiah H. Bell. Earliest part of this house was built about 1847 on cedar pole framing by George Lewis Nash, who lived here with his family for about 45 years. House was bought 1892 by Martha Caroline Wright, wife of merchant James P. Wright. The Wrights added extensive area. Their descendants own and preserve the property.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973
 
Erected 1973 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9615.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
 
Location. 29° 8.681′ N, 95° 36.718′ W. Marker is in East Columbia, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of Duval Street (County Road 300A) and Market Street, on the right when traveling north on Duval Street. The marker is located on the front wall of the Nash-Wright House, which is privately owned and the yard is enclosed by a wire
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and wood fence preventing casual visitors from entering the front yard. Permission is required to enter the property. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 Duval Street, West Columbia TX 77486, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James & Selina Phillips House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bethel Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Site of Carry Nation's Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); East Columbia Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bell's Landing (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Ammon Underwood House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sweeny-Waddy Log Cabin (approx. 0.4 miles away); "Columbia Blues" (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Columbia.
 
The Nash-Wright House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Chris Kneupper
2. The Nash-Wright House Marker
The marker is located on the front wall of the house, to the right of the front door.
The Nash-Wright House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Chris Kneupper
3. The Nash-Wright House
View from across the privacy fence enclosing the front yard.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 29, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=182810

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 2, 2023