Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Middle Valley in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Jackson Chapel Cemetery

 
 
Jackson Chapel Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, September 25, 2021
1. Jackson Chapel Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  
Earliest grave 1810

In honor of David and Bernice Pitts Nelson

 
Erected 2017 by Prudhomme Fort Chapter, National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1810.
 
Location. 35° 10.681′ N, 85° 9.263′ W. Marker is near Middle Valley, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Gold Point Circle North, 0.3 miles north of Ridge Bay Drive, on the left when traveling north. Marker is in Chester Frost Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2277 Gold Point Circle North, Hixson TN 37343, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “Old Dallas” (approx. 1.2 miles away); Joseph Vann's Town (approx. 3.3 miles away); Old Harrison (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Life of Booker Taliaferro Washington (approx. 4.7 miles
Jackson Chapel Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, September 25, 2021
2. Jackson Chapel Cemetery Marker
The panel on the right is a locator map.
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); The Civilian Conservation Corps and Booker T. Washington State Park (approx. 4.8 miles away); Booker Taliaferro Washington (approx. 4.8 miles away); Harrison Academy (approx. 4.8 miles away); Cast Down Your Buckets (approx. 4.8 miles away).
 
Regarding Jackson Chapel Cemetery. According to The History of Hamilton County and Chattanooga, Tennessee, a 1993 book by Zella Armstrong:
… The oldest cemetery in Hamilton County is at Jackson's Chapel and is called Jackson's Chapel Cemetery. It is near the site of Dallas. The property was given to the Methodist Church by Asahel Rawlings and it was formerly the burying ground on his farm.

The Dallas Road runs between the cemetery and Jackson's Chapel. The oldest grave in the cemetery is that of Mrs. Asahel Rawlings. The slab is inscribed "In Memory of Phoebe Rawlings, wife of Asahel Rawlings, born June 25, 1786, died August 17, 1810." Asahel Rawlings' tomb, which is beside his wife's, is unmarked, but old settlers know that it is his grave. He died more than thirty years after Phoebe Thurman Rawlings. Hundreds of old graves are marked with simple stones without inscription.

According to old residents, the cemetery contains the graves of many early
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
families, Jacksons, Rawlings, Rogers, Bradfields and others. …
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 29, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=182811

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2021