Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greendale in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

This Historic Two-Story Building Was Built In 1938

 
 
This Historic Two-Story Building Was Built In 1938 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, August 4, 2021
1. This Historic Two-Story Building Was Built In 1938 Marker
Inscription.  
The lower level held Greendale's first Post Office, which opened on December 16th, 1938. The first Greendale Postmaster was Ed Bengs; he was also a Greendale resident. In 1938 postage for a first-class letter was 3 cents!

The upper level was both a doctor's and dentist's office. On designated days, Greendale residents could see a visiting doctor or dentist. The cost for a doctor's appointment was $1.00.

This building now houses professional offices.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 16, 1938.
 
Location. 42° 56.514′ N, 87° 59.791′ W. Marker is in Greendale, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on Broad Street south of Northway, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5623 Broad Street, Greendale WI 53129, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. An Ideal Location (here, next to this marker); A "Greenbelt Community" (here, next to this marker); Built by Thousands (here, next to this
This Historic Two-Story Building Was Built In 1938 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, August 4, 2021
2. This Historic Two-Story Building Was Built In 1938 Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker); Eleanor's Visit (a few steps from this marker); Greendale's 'Backward Houses' (within shouting distance of this marker); Greendale Was Roosevelt's Idea (within shouting distance of this marker); Greendale is 'Alphabetized' (within shouting distance of this marker); Picture This - Our Own Theatre! (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greendale.
 
Also see . . .  Wisconsin SP Greendale Historic District. According to the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form:
• The "triangular center gable was added to the roof in 1997, but the Old Post Office is otherwise unaltered."
• "The building is set back from its neighbors and overlooks a small courtyard with a fountain. Named 'Eleanor's Courtyard,' in honor of First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, who visited Greendale in 1936, the courtyard and fountain were constructed in 1998."
• "The Post Office occupied the first floor of this building until a new facility was completed...in 1965." (Submitted on October 1, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 1, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=182905

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 3, 2022