Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Sisters of the Incarnate Word

 
 
Sisters of the Incarnate Word Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 1, 2021
1. Sisters of the Incarnate Word Marker
Inscription.  In 1871 the Brownsville Congregation of the Incarnate Word, at the request of Bishop Claude Dubuis, sent four sisters to Corpus Christi. They moved into a run-down adobe building at Leopard and Carancahua street. H.L. Kinney had given the site to the church for a convent and school. Immediately the sisters recognized the need for a Spanish-Speaking teacher. They expanded the staff and opened the convent and school to boarders.

Under the direction of Father Claude Jaillet, Vicar General, a 3-story structure was completed in 1885. The sisters paid for it with their 10-year savings. The school secured academic accreditation from the State of Texas in 1885 and by 1890 had 220 pupils.

The cloister was dissolved in 1915, giving the sisters more freedom to open new schools and improve their education. In 1922 a new, more modern convent was completed at the original location. The Corpus Christi and Brownsville Houses united in 1932 and moved the Motherhouse to Corpus Christi. The convent at this site was dedicated in 1950. The sisters' contributions to education in South Texas include operation of a junior college from 1958
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to 1966, two high schools, three junior highs, ten elementary schools and a pre-school with an experimental program.
 
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4716.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkChurches & ReligionEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
 
Location. 27° 45.72′ N, 97° 23.575′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is at the intersection of South Alameda Street and Angel Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South Alameda Street. The marker is located in front of the school. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2930 South Alameda Street, Corpus Christi TX 78404, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moses Menger Elementary School (approx. half a mile away); Camp Scurry (approx. half a mile away); Alonzo Álvarez de Pineda (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Baptist Church of Corpus Christi (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Alta Vista Hotel (approx. 0.8 miles away); Wynn Seale Junior High School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Clara Driscoll, the Driscoll Foundation & Driscoll Children's Hospital (approx.
Sisters of the Incarnate Word Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 1, 2021
2. Sisters of the Incarnate Word Marker
one mile away); Arthur Edward Spohn, M.D. and Spohn Hospital (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
 
Also see . . .  Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament.
The Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament, founded in 1625 in Lyons, France, was the second group of Catholic educators to move to Texas. When Bishop Jean Marie Odin asked for volunteers to work in the Texas missions, four sisters offered their services, and with Frances (Sister Superior St. Claire) Valentine they arrived in Galveston on June 29, 1852. They remained with the Ursuline Sisters for several months studying English and Spanish before going to Brownsville in March 1853. Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on October 2, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Sisters of the Incarnate Word Marker in front of the school image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 1, 2021
3. The view of the Sisters of the Incarnate Word Marker in front of the school
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=182921

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024