Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Imlay City in Lapeer County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Grand Trunk Depot - 1927

77 Main Street

 

— Imlay City History —

 
Grand Trunk Depot - 1927 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, August 18, 2021
1. Grand Trunk Depot - 1927 Marker
Inscription.  The coming of the railroad in 1870 was pivotal to Imlay City's founding and economic progression. Imlay City's original wooden depot was built in 1870 for the Port Huron and Lake Michigan Railroad, and contained separate waiting rooms for men and women. The PH&LM Railroad later became known as the Chicago & Grand Trunk, Grand Trunk Railroad (GT), and the GTW (Western). Since 1987, the railroad has been operated by the Canadian National Railway system, which dots the southern Lower Peninsula landscape.

Early in 1872 passenger traffic at this station was reported to be 4,000 tickets annually being sold for travel from Port Huron to Imlay City. There were as many as four eastbound and four westbound trains daily. After a fire in 1917, the original depot's partial ruins were used for ten years until a new depot, a sturdy brick structure, was built in 1927 by the Ellington Miller Company of Chicago at a cost of $11,667. Passenger trains made regular stops in Imlay City for 101 years ending in 1971. The depot was then used for storage by GTW.

The depot sat vacant for a few years until 1976 when the City of Imlay City
Grand Trunk Depot - 1927 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, August 18, 2021
2. Grand Trunk Depot - 1927 Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
began negotiations with GTW and obtained a 99-year lease on the building and property. The City in turn leased the building to the Imlay City Historical Commission for use as a museum in 1978, with all restoration and repairs performed by volunteers. In 1988 the City reached an agreement with GTW to purchase the building and property for $5,000. Today the lease continues with the Imlay City Historical Commission for use as a public museum.

The depot is listed on the State Register of Historic Sites.
 
Erected by Imlay City Downtown Development Authority.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
 
Location. 43° 1.416′ N, 83° 4.467′ W. Marker is in Imlay City, Michigan, in Lapeer County. Marker is on Main Street near East 3rd Street, on the right when traveling east. Located at the Imlay City Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 77 N Main St, Imlay City MI 48444, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ornamental Iron Gate (a few steps from this marker); Grand Trunk Railroad Depot / Imlay City (within shouting distance of this marker); Imlay City Mural — Charles Palmer (within shouting distance of this marker); Yerex Building - 1882 (within shouting distance
Grand Trunk Depot image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, August 18, 2021
3. Grand Trunk Depot
of this marker); Imlay Township Hall Library - 1951 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Imlay City Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grettenberger Field (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dryden Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Imlay City.
 
Grand Trunk Depot image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, August 18, 2021
4. Grand Trunk Depot
The depot is on the right; the building on the left is the Walker Brothers Elevator.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 3, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 3, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=182976

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Nov. 29, 2022