Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
South Haven in Van Buren County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Scott Club

 
 
Scott Club Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, October 28, 2013
1. Scott Club Marker
Inscription.  This federated women's club, founded as a reading circle in 1883 and named for Sir Walter Scott, merged with the Literary and Antiquarian Societies to build a clubhouse in 1892. John Cornelius Randall designed the sandstone Queen Anne structure, built by local artisans and completed in 1893. Two stained glass windows created in Austria portray Sir Walter Scott and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. This building has been in continuous use by the Scott Club as a cultural center providing fellowship for women of the area.
 
Erected 1982 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L807A.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
 
Location. 42° 24.18′ N, 86° 16.18′ W. Marker is in South Haven, Michigan, in Van Buren County. Marker is at the intersection of Pearl Street and Phoenix Street (Business Interstate 196), on the right when traveling north on Pearl Street
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is attached to the west wall of the building below the stained glass windows. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 652 Phoenix St, South Haven MI 49090, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Corporal Duane E. Dewey (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); City of South Haven (about 700 feet away); Conger House, Circa 1856 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hartman School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fruit Industry (approx. ¼ mile away); Michigan Central Railroad Yard (approx. ¼ mile away); Downtown's Rich History (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wilhelm Baum (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Haven.
 
Scott Club Building (Front) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, October 28, 2013
2. Scott Club Building (Front)
View from Phoenix Road
Scott Club Building (West Side) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, October 28, 2013
3. Scott Club Building (West Side)
View from Pearl Street
Scott Club Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, October 28, 2013
4. Scott Club Marker
Entrance to Scott Club and stained glass windows portraying Sir Walter Scott and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 434 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on October 3, 2021, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 5, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=182977

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024