Fork Union in Fluvanna County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Fork Union Baptist Church
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number GA-39.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson, and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1798.
Location. 37° 45.78′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fork Union VA 23055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fork Union Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Abraham Seay (within shouting distance of this marker); Fork Union Military Academy (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Second Century Guarantors (about 400 feet away); World War I Field Gun (about 400 feet away); Fluvanna County World War Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); Point of Fork (approx. 2 miles away); John Jasper (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fork Union.
Also see . . . An Historical Sketch of Fork Union Baptist Church. (PDF) By A. Paul Thompson and Clarence W. Kritzer. “The present meetinghouse (our present church), built in 1824, was known for years as the ‘Brick meetinghouse.’ It was constructed at its present location to offer a place of worship at some central point within the fork neighborhood. This meetinghouse was not built as a Baptist meetinghouse; it was a union meetinghouse. The Presbyterians had use of the house on the first Sunday of the month, the Baptists on the second Sunday, the Episcopalians the third Sunday and the Methodists the fourth Sunday.” (Submitted on April 26, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,016 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 26, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of historical aspects of the church • Can you help?