La Grange in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
164, 160, 152 & 148 West Colorado
As early as the 1840's a frame building stood on this site serving as a hotel under many different names including the Eagle Hotel, Carter Hotel, La Grange Hotel, Farquahar Hotel and Peavine Hotel. In January 1884, the La Grange Building Association, a stock company, bought out the La Grange Hotel. As soon as enough brick could be burned, construction began on a first class hotel in the same place as the old one. By January 1885, work on the new hotel was progressing and by February, the timbers for the first and second floors were up and the 1st floor studding and brick work was almost complete. The workmen, plasterers and carpenters were hard at work by July and Frank Reichert was assembling and re-varnishing the furniture. The "Lester House" opened on September 1, 1885 with 25 rooms on the second floor. All hard finished and well ventilated with elegant furnishings and every convenience. The first floor had space for two businesses, a barber shop, office, dining room and kitchen. The Lester Hotel was still operating
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1884.
Location. 29° 54.368′ N, 96° 52.699′ W. Marker is in La Grange, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of North Washington Street and West Colorado Street, on the right when traveling north on North Washington Street. The marker is located at a small gazebo and park near the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: La Grange TX 78945, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grandmother's Flower Garden (a few steps from this marker); Texas Rangers Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Sundial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dawson Expedition / Historic Oak Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Fayette County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dawson Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); La Grange Depot Museum (about 300 feet away); The First U.S. Postal Rural Mail Route in Texas (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Grange.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.