Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Waite Block Annex

1899

— 19 Deadwood Street —

 
 
Waite Block Annex Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2009
1. Waite Block Annex Marker
Inscription.  Architect O.C. Jewett built the Waite Block Annex as a two-story structure and immediately established his offices on the second floor. In 1901 The Wrought Iron Range Co. moved in to the first floor. A recessed entry between this building and the Waite Block provided access to a separate storefront occupied by the Great Eastern Coffee and Tea Company. In 1903 the building was rebuilt with three stories, and partially reconstructed in 1904 after suffering flood damage. Today it is Hickok’s Hotel and Gaming, providing guests with a trip back in time but with all the elegance and amenities of the 21st century.
 
Erected by Hickok’s Hotel and Gaming.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
 
Location. 44° 22.582′ N, 103° 43.845′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is on Main Street north of Deadwood Street, on the right when traveling north. Located in the entrance niche. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 685 Main St, Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
distance of this marker. Black Hills Trust and Savings Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Deadwood’s Grand Bandstand (within shouting distance of this marker); History Buried Beneath Your Feet (within shouting distance of this marker); Jack McCall Capture Site (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fire of 1879 (within shouting distance of this marker); Deadwood 1876 (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Johns Episcopal Church, Est. 1880 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Deadwood's Carnegie Library (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
 
Waite Block Annex Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Connor Olson, October 6, 2021
2. Waite Block Annex Marker
Marker was relocated to the entrance niche, facing Main Street
Hickok's Hotel and Gaming image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2009
3. Hickok's Hotel and Gaming
The marker is located in the entrance alcove behind the red car.
The front of Hickok's Hotel and Gaming on Main Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2009
4. The front of Hickok's Hotel and Gaming on Main Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 723 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on October 5, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin. Photos:   1. submitted on November 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.   2. submitted on October 6, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin.   3, 4. submitted on November 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183186

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024