Hillsboro in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ivy-Atchison Pioneer Home
Presently enclosed by a frame house, the original log structure was built in the 1840's and was on of the first homes in the settlement that became Peoria. Portions of the original walls are visible behind glass panes. Has early Texas furnishings.
Once home of Col. V.H. Ivy, his three sons: Tom, Henry (both pioneer doctors), and Preston. Owners included Greer McKissick and also Frank Smith, who added rooms and completed enclosure of log house. In 1964 Smith's son Knox sold home to Mrs. Joe Atchison, who since has made further improvements.
The Ivy-Atchison home formerly stood ca. 300 feet west of this site. The marker was relocated to the Peoria School (Community Center) in 2010.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 14649.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. 31° 58.589′ N, 97° 13.422′ W. Marker is in Hillsboro, Texas, in Hill County. Marker is at the intersection of County Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hillsboro TX 76645, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kerby Community (approx. 5.9 miles away); Pioneer Bank Building (approx. 5.9 miles away); Site of Old Lexington Village (approx. 5.9 miles away); Bond's Alley (approx. 5.9 miles away); Hillsboro Post Office Building (approx. 5.9 miles away); City of Hillsboro (approx. 5.9 miles away); Courthouse History (approx. 5.9 miles away); Katy Depot (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.