Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Deadwood Changing -- 1884, 1909 and Now

 
 
Deadwood Changing -- 1884 1902 and Now Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Connor Olson, October 6, 2021
1. Deadwood Changing -- 1884 1902 and Now Marker
Inscription.  Note the sites of the county courthouse, the federal building, the depot, the slime plant, and the school. The buildings on Main Street also changed character. Whitewood Creek was partly channelized in 1884, and is covered by a highway. Commercial buildings along upper Main Street, including a flour mill and warehouses in the 1884 image, were gradually replaced by residential neighborhood. The arrival of the railroad in the 1890s also changed Deadwood’s landscape particularly along the south end of Sherman Street (along the left side of both images).
 
Erected by Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
 
Location. 44° 22.523′ N, 103° 43.903′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Pine Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. School District #02 (a few steps from this marker); Spanish-American War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Serving the Black Hills (within shouting distance of this marker); Deadwood’s Grand Bandstand (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); History Buried Beneath Your Feet (about 300 feet away); Deadwood's Carnegie Library (about 400 feet away); Black Hills Trust and Savings Bank (about 400 feet away); Saint Ambrose Parish (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
 
New marker can be seen on the corner in new location image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Connor Olson, October 6, 2021
2. New marker can be seen on the corner in new location
Former marker - Deadwood Changing -- 1884 1902 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William J. Toman, August 7, 2010
3. Former marker - Deadwood Changing -- 1884 1902
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 880 times since then and 22 times this year. Last updated on October 6, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin.   3. submitted on October 6, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183226

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024