Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Presidential District

— A Trail to Deadwood’s Past —

 
 
The Presidential District Marker (replacement marker) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Connor Olson, October 6, 2021
1. The Presidential District Marker (replacement marker)
Inscription.  As South Deadwood expanded along Sherman Street in early 1876, log cabins and small frame houses appeared on the hillsides above the mining camp. A cemetery was quickly established on a hill deemed too far away from town to ever be developed. Soon known as Ingleside, it was the original burial place of Wild Bill Hickok, Preacher Henry Weston Smith and dozens of faceless miners, muleskinners and madams.

In 1877 the gentle slopes of the hill became attractive to homeowners, who were being displaced by commercial growth on the flat land at the bottom of the gulch. By 1880 the cemetery had been moved further up the hill, clearing the way for new residential development. Within a few years the Ingleside neighborhood had replaced Forest Hill as the most fashionable quarter in town. Seth Bullock, Harris Franklin, Ben Baer, John Treber, Henry Frawley, Geroge Ayres, Freeman Knowles and Charles and Jonas Zoellner all lived in Ingleside area, which was marked by large Queen-Anne-style homes.

After World War II, the Presidential area began to decline with the rest of Deadwood. Some of the largest homes – including the imposing Treber
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
House – were claimed by fire, while others were converted into apartments and allowed to deteriorate. However, the legalization of limited stakes gaming in 1989 has helped revitalize the neighborhood. Most noticeably, gaming provided historic preservation funds for 22 Van Buren Street, which is now the public Adams House Museum. Many other private residences have been restored since the 1990s.
 
Erected by Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
 
Location. 44° 22.375′ N, 103° 43.646′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is on Van Buren Street. Located near where Cemetery Street changes name to Van Buren Street, there in no intersection, near Sherman Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Deadwood's First City Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Spanish-American War Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Franklin’s Fine Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Smokestack - Reconstructed (about 500 feet away); Fish & Hunter Company (about 500 feet away); a different marker
The Presidential District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Connor Olson, October 6, 2021
2. The Presidential District Marker
also named The Presidential District (about 600 feet away); Utility Building (about 700 feet away); Interurban Trolley (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
 
Additional keywords. residential areas
 
Houses on Van Buren Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2009
3. Houses on Van Buren Street
The Adams House on Van Buren Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2009
4. The Adams House on Van Buren Street
Former The Presidential District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2009
5. Former The Presidential District Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 797 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on October 6, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin.   3, 4, 5. submitted on November 20, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183270

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024