Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Rev. L.R.S. Ferguson Ski & Sled Area

— A Trail to Deadwood's Past —

 
 
Rev. L.R.S. Ferguson Ski & Sled Area Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Connor Olson, October 7, 2021
1. Rev. L.R.S. Ferguson Ski & Sled Area Marker
Inscription.  On October 27, 1937, a group of twenty-one business and professional men gathered at the Franklin Hotel and organized the Deadwood Rotary Club. According to the local newspaper, the new Rotary Club would

“…unite Deadwood with more than 4,000 cities all over the world where Rotary Clubs have come to play a leading part in the progress and development of the life of the community.”

Over the course of its existence, the Deadwood Rotary Club was involved in numerous community projects and events within Deadwood. One of the most recognized Deadwood Rotary Club projects was the development of the Rev. L.R.S. Ferguson Ski & Sled Area now known as the Martha E. Bullock Memorial Park.

In 1952, the Deadwood Rotary Club partnered with the City of Deadwood to develop a safe outdoor recreation area for children while encouraging them to practice skiing.

The new ski and sled area included a portion of the land donated by the Bullock Family in 1928. Both Deadwood Rotarians and city employees worked together to clear trees, rocks, and brush and helped build a small ski jump and "bunny trail”.

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
On March 3, 1955 the new ski and sled area was officially dedicated. The park was named in honor of Reverend Ferguson, known also as "Reverend Fergie", for his thirty years of service as a Rotarian. In his professional life, Ferguson was an ordained Episcopal minister and served as rector at St. John's Episcopal Church in Deadwood. Four months after the completion of this project, Reverend Ferguson died at the age of 79.

Captions:
Portrait of Reverend Lee Roy Shur Ferguson, circa 1950.
Members of the Deadwood Rotary Club at the dedication of the Rev. L.R.S. Ferguson Ski & Sled Area
Deadwood youth posing at the Rev. L.R.S. Ferguson Ski & Sled Area

 
Erected by Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkParks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical date for this entry is October 27, 1937.
 
Location. 44° 22.153′ N, 103° 43.825′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Charles Street (U.S. 85) and Stewart Street, on the left when traveling south on Charles Street. Located in Martha E. Bullock Memorial Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cleveland (a few steps from this marker); Partners in Land Preservation
Marker can be seen in the lower right, in front of the fence image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Connor Olson, October 7, 2021
2. Marker can be seen in the lower right, in front of the fence
(about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); McGovern Hill (about 500 feet away); Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad Yard (about 700 feet away); George S. Mickelson Trail (about 700 feet away); The Resilient Whitewood Creek (about 700 feet away); Burlington Interurban Power Plant (approx. 0.2 miles away); Radial Brick Smokestack (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 9, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183429

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024