Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Luverne in Crenshaw County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Crenshaw County Courthouse

 
 
Crenshaw County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James L.Whitman, October 9, 2021
1. Crenshaw County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Crenshaw County was established from five existing counties in 1866. The first courthouse and county seat were originally in Rutledge. The county seat moved to its present location after the 1893 election. The first courthouse at this location burned on March 4,1897. The second courthouse was completed in 1898 and faced the Bricken Law Building on 4th Street. In 1955, the second courthouse was razed and replaced with the present-day building. It is named in honor of Judge Anderson Crenshaw. a prominent Luverne citizen who was appointed to Alabama's first Supreme Court.
 
Erected 2019 by Alabama Historical Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 4, 1897.
 
Location. 31° 42.97′ N, 86° 15.751′ W. Marker is in Luverne, Alabama, in Crenshaw County. Marker is on West 3rd Street (Alabama Route 15) near Glenwood Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 S Glenwood Ave, Luverne AL 36049, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Bricken Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Luverne Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Douglass House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rutledge Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Rutledge (approx. 3 miles away); New Providence Primitive Baptist Church Site (approx. 5.7 miles away); Memorial (approx. 8.3 miles away); Goshen Substation (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Luverne.
 
Crenshaw County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James L.Whitman, October 9, 2021
2. Crenshaw County Courthouse Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 10, 2021, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. This page has been viewed 289 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 10, 2021, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183474

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024